NIAB has over 400 staff, with over 150 working at Cambridge, 80 at East Malling in Kent and the remainder based at its regional centres.
The main staffing units are:
- Agricultural crop research - covering agricultural genetics and breeding, plant biotechnology, field crop research, plant pathology and crop characterisation teams.
- Agronomy and farming systems - including farmer membership services, farming systems and agronomy research across all arable, root and field vegetable crops, BCPC, analytical services such as NIAB LabTest, ARTIS and NIAB training services, farm and regional trials and ornamental and glasshouse services.
- Horticultural crop research - horticultural genetics, genomics and breeding, crop science and production systems and pest and pathogen ecology teams, plus Malling Fruits, analytical services based at East Malling and the Growing Kent & Medway initiative.
- Innovation - creating and managing new commercial ventures and services plus NIAB’s agritech incubator hub, Barn4.
- Corporate - for staff covering business services including HR, facilities, IT, finance and communications.
NIAB has a Board of Directors, who are the trustees of the charity and administer the company. The Arable Group Ltd also has a Board of Directors and the National Institute of Agricultural Botany Trust is administered by a Board of Trustees.