Based on the 200+ ha original site of the East Malling and Wye Fruit Experimental Station, near Maidstone in Kent, NIAB's East Malling site includes offices, laboratories, field and glasshouse facilities, alongside research, trials and commercial horticultural and arable land.
Facilities at East Malling include:
- the GreenTech Innovation Hub, a new facility opened in 2022 featuring polytunnels, glasshouses, growth rooms and a winery centre, alongside 200 ha planted with perennial and arable crops,
- The Water Efficient Technologies (WET) Centre,
- the East Malling Rhizolab,
- GroDome (containment facility – level II-III security),
- the Produce Quality Centre,
- the Crop Handling Centre,
- alongside a GEP-compliant efficacy trials system, fruit germplasm and plant virus collections, automated DNA sequencers, insect rearing facilities, plant tissue culture labs and taste/consumer panels.
The site is also used as a centre for our NIAB arable members with field trials and demonstrations.
NIAB East Malling can easily be accessed by the London Victoria to Dover (via Ashford International) rail route.
Exit the train at West Malling station (50 minutes from Victoria) and take a taxi to NIAB East Malling. There is a taxi company based at the station and the journey takes approx. 5 minutes.
Alternatively, exit the train at the East Malling station (54 minutes from Victoria). Walk down the hill to the crossroads. Turn right and follow the road towards the Church. Take the narrow footpath through the Churchyard and continue in a straight line for a further 600 metres. When you arrive at the research centre buildings, follow signs towards Reception based within the Conference Centre.
Sat Nav: Enter postcode ME19 6BH.
NIAB East Malling is located 3 miles from junction 4 of the M20.
Exit junction 4 of the M20 and head south on the A228 signposted ‘West Malling’. After exiting the junction 4 roundabout, head straight across the first set of traffic lights and first roundabout.
At the second set of traffic lights turn left – signposted ‘A20 West Malling and Maidstone’. Get into the right-hand lane and turn right at the next traffic lights signposted ‘A20 Maidstone’.
Travel east on the A20 towards Maidstone – head straight over the first set of traffic lights. Turn right at the second set of traffic lights, opposite B&Q. This is New Road, East Malling.
Head along New Road keeping the walled boundary on your left for 1.2 km. The entrance to NIAB is on your left (just before the King & Queen PH).
When on site, follow signs for ‘Reception’ and park in the visitors car park before walking through the apple arch to the Reception located within the Conference Centre.