Temporary Seasonal Research AssistantsApply
Closing date: 29 Feb 2024
Reference number: C109
Location: East Malling, Kent, ME19 6BJ, UK
Closing date: 29 February 2024
Reference number: C109
Salary: £22,010/£11.44 per hour
Contract: Fixed term from April 2024 to September 2024
Working hours: Full-time: Monday to Friday, 37 hours per week (0800:16:00)
Part-time: Monday to Friday, hours/day negotiable
Please include your availability between April and September, specifying hours/days of the week you can work when submitting your curriculum vitae.
ABOUT THE JOB
We are looking to recruit Seasonal Research Assistants, to work in our Plant Genetics (PG) Department at our East Malling site in Kent. Seasonal Research Assistants provide assistance on a commercially funded strawberry breeding programme and successful candidates will be involved in a wide range of tasks within the project. This is a great opportunity to gain experience in horticulture research while developing professional skills in teamwork, time management and practical problem solving. Duties include, but not are not limited to:
• Assist with fruit evaluation – twice weekly assessments on harvested fruit
• Complete post-harvest assessments of fruit
• Collect and record data from field and glasshouse-based trials and experiments
• Accurately input data into software packages
• Perform plant propagation in field, polytunnel and glasshouse environments
The role is based at East Malling, Kent, ME19 6BJ. East Malling is three miles from junction four of the M20, with plenty of free on-site parking. East Malling can easily be accessed by the London Victoria to Dover (via Ashford International) rail route via West Malling station. Alternatively, exit the train at the East Malling station and take the short walk onto site.
Any questions? Informal enquires are welcome, please contact [email protected] or call Human Resources on 01732 523797.
Ideally you will have:
• An interest in horticulture/plant sciences and be willing to learn
• A good eye for detail
• The ability to follow protocols and instructions.
• Enthusiasm, with good organisational and time management skills
• The ability to work independently as well as within a team
• Excellent punctuality record
Ideally you will also have:
• A driving licence or access to independent means of travelling, enabling you to travel on site at East Malling.
NIAB – Plant science into practice
Come and join an organisation at the forefront of the application of genetics, physiology, soil science, precision agronomy and data science to improve the yield, efficiency, and resilience of crop production across the arable, forage and horticulture sectors.
NIAB actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society. As a Disability Confident Employer we have a positive approach to employing people living with a disability.
Click the ‘Apply’ button for further details and to apply directly. When submitting your CV please include your availability between April 2024 and September 2024 specifying hours/days of the week you can work. Apply soon as we may shortlist prior to the closing date if suitable candidates are found.