Communication and Events Officer (Fixed term for 2 years)Apply
Closing date: 23 Feb 2024
Reference number: T/394-02
Location: New Road, East Malling, Kent, ME19 6BJ, UK
Closing date: 23 February 2024
Salary: £26,402 to £34,836 per annum, depending on experience.
Contract: Fixed term for 2 years
Working hours: 37 hours per week, Monday-Friday; part-time considered – minimum 30 hours; flexible working considered
ABOUT THE JOB
An exciting opportunity to join our ‘Growing Kent & Medway’ team working with researchers and businesses across the Kent and Medway region. You will be helping us make an impact by promoting sustainable innovation in the horticultural, food and drink industry.
We wish to appoint a Communication and Events Officer to join our ‘Growing Kent & Medway’ team. In this role, you will help us to promote our project, and tell stories about the businesses and people we are supporting through our grants, business support programmes, and research.
Led by NIAB, Growing Kent & Medway is a research, innovation, and enterprise cluster, that helps horticultural and plant-based food and drink businesses to innovate and grow. The project brings together innovative growers and processors, scientists, technologists, and entrepreneurs to make our food and drink sector more sustainable and productive. It is funded through the UK Research & Innovation ‘Strength in Places‘ fund. https://www.growingkentandmedway.com/
As Communication and Events Officer, your duties include:
• Lead the strategy for our social media channels, create and schedule engaging content, as well as measuring and reviewing performance against key targets
• Manage the administrative and logistical processes required to run successful online webinars. Support the delivery of in-person events, including conferences and exhibitions.
• Write and edit regular email newsletters for our members
• Brief marketing and design agencies, or use design software, to create impactful promotional and event materials. This includes but not limited to flyers, adverts, posters, social media posts, pull-up banners
• Support the Communications Manager in briefing media with news stories from our programme, and help respond to media enquiries and requests
• Write interviews, editorial articles, case studies and blogs for print and web to help share stories from our research and the businesses we support
• Internal communication. Build strong relationship and manage communications with our internal and external team and stakeholders to share updates and ensure the communication team is fully up to date with activity across the programme
• Using our content management system, regularly update the growingkentandmedway.com website.
• Ensure our membership data on our customer relationship manager system is regularly and accurately updated for our monitoring and evaluation reports
• Support the Communications Manager with the delivery of promotional campaigns to launch new products and services where required
• Ad-hoc duties including, booking meeting rooms, ordering catering, and arranging couriers.
The role is based at East Malling, Kent, ME19 6BJ. East Malling is three miles from junction four of the M20, with plenty of free on-site parking. NIAB East Malling can easily be accessed by the London Victoria to Dover (via Ashford International) rail route via West Malling station. Alternatively, exit the train at the East Malling station and take the short walk onto site.
Informal enquiries are welcome, please contact Lauren Colagiovanni, Senior Communications Manager, [email protected]
Benefits include 25 days’ holiday plus public holidays and 3 days off during the Christmas period, flexible working considered, generous sick pay, attractive pension scheme, income protection, life assurance, employee discount scheme, free on-site parking and great colleagues.
Ideally you have:
• Excellent written communication skills
• Good general grounding in a communication role
• Knowledge of social media channels and proven track record of growing audiences and creating engagement
• Experience managing webinars and exhibitions or conferences
• Excellent organisation skills and time management
• High level of attention to detail, proof reading and editing experience
• A driving licence or access to independent means of travelling, enabling you to travel to events off site, around Kent and Medway. Transport can be provided.
• Occasional setting and packing up at conferances/events outside of normal office working hours e.g. early starts and finishes may be required on weekdays or weekends.
Ideally you will also have:
• Marketing qualification (content management system, degree, certification)
• Experience of using customer relationship and content management systems
• An understanding of search engine optimisation and digital marketing
• Video editing and design experience
• Understanding of horticulture and food and drinks sector
See full Job Description on our website for more details.
Growing Kent & Medway
Kent and Medway’s unique geography means we are home to most of the UK’s high-value horticultural production, packaging and processing, and a major gateway to global markets. We are building on Kent and Medway’s established reputation and industry base to make this region one of the most dynamic, competitive and successful horticultural and Agri-tech locations in the world.
NIAB – Plant science into practice
With sites across the UK, NIAB is a dynamic, research led and market driven plant bioscience organisation, with an emphasis on innovative applications for end-users in the agricultural, horticultural and food sectors. With over 100 years’ experience of technology evaluation and transfer, NIAB is spear-heading the advancement of plant genetic resources through research, technical services and training.
East Malling site: https://www.niab.com/about/locations/east-malling
NIAB actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society. As a Disability Confident Employer we have a positive approach to employing people living with a disability.
Click the ‘Apply’ button for further details and to apply directly. Any questions? Email [email protected] or call Human Resources on 01732 523797.