E: Mario Caccamo
Phone: 01223 342430
Professor Mario Caccamo was appointed as the Head of Crop Bioinformatics at NIAB on 1st August 2015.
A computer scientist by training, Professor Caccamo has over 15 years’ experience in life science research and big data, including specific projects to apply the latest DNA sequencing technologies and bioinformatics methods to advance scientific understanding of crop genetics and the interaction of agricultural crops with their environment.
Professor Caccamo has led the work on the assembly of the first whole-genome release of the wheat reference sequence and was also one of the founding co-chairs of the expert working group within the Wheat Initiative focused on the deployment of an international Wheat Information System. From his new position at NIAB Professor Caccamo will continue with his leading role in the cereal bioinformatics communities at both national and international levels.
• Elizabeth SA Sollars, Andrea L Harper, Laura J Kelly, Christine M Sambles, Ricardo H Ramirez-Gonzalez, David Swarbreck, Gemy Kaithakottil, Endymion D Cooper, Cristobal Uauy, Lenka Havlickova, Gemma Worswick, David J Studholme, Jasmin Zohren, Deborah L Salmon, Bernardo J Clavijo, Yi Li, Zhesi He, Alison Fellgett, Lea Vig McKinney, Lene Rostgaard Nielsen, Gerry C Douglas, Erik Dahl Kjær, J Allan Downie, David Boshier, Steve Lee, Jo Clark, Murray Grant, Ian Bancroft, Mario Caccamo, Richard JA Buggs (2016). Genome sequence and genetic diversity of European ash trees.
• Jinhong Li, Jonathan M Cocker, Jonathan Wright, Margaret A Webster, Mark McMullan, Sarah Dyer, David Swarbreck, Mario Caccamo, Cock van Oosterhout, Philip M Gilmartin (2016). Genetic architecture and evolution of the S locus supergene in Primula vulgaris.
• Ricardo H Ramirez-Gonzalez, Cristobal Uauy, Mario Caccamo (2015) PolyMarker: A fast polyploid primer design pipeline. Bioinformatics.
• KFX Mayer et al. (2014) A chromosome-based draft sequence of the hexaploid bread wheat (Triticum aestivum) genome. Science.
• Richard M Leggett, Bernardo J Clavijo, Leah Clissold, Matthew D Clark, Mario Caccamo (2013). NextClip: an analysis and read preparation tool for Nextera long mate pair libraries. Bioinformatics.
• Mario Caccamo, Erich Grotewold (2013). Turning over a new leaf in plant genomics. Genome Biology.
• Zamin Iqbal, Mario Caccamo, Isaac Turner, Paul Flicek, Gil McVean (2012). De novo assembly and genotyping of variants using colored de Bruijn graphs. Nature Genetics.
View a complete list of publications.