NIAB has over 400 staff, with over 150 working at Cambridge, 80 at East Malling and the remainder based at its regional centres.
The main staffing business units are:
- NIAB Cambridge Crop Research - including genetics and breeding, plant breeding, plant biotechnology, field crop research, plant pathology and crop characterisation teams
- NIAB Agronomy - including NIAB TAG and other farmer membership services, farming systems, NIAB CUF, NIAB Innovation Farm, Eastern AgriTech Innovation Hub, farm and regional trials and TAG Consulting Ltd
- NIAB EMR - including genetics, genomics and breeding, crop science and production systems and pest and pathogen ecology departments
- NIAB Ventures - creating and managing new commercial ventures, plus NIAB Training, BCPC, potato modelling services, Meeting of Minds programme for agri-tech SME’s and NIAB’s AgriTech Incubator Hub, Barn4.
- Corporate - for staff covering business services including HR, facilities, IT, finance and communications
NIAB has a Board of Directors, who are the trustees of the charity and administer the company. The Arable Group Ltd also has a Board of Directors and the National Institute of Agricultural Botany Trust is administered by a Board of Trustees.