Plant Disease Clinic
Seed Quality Tests
The plant disease clinic is designed to provide plant disease diagnostic services for anyone interested in plant diseases. Our services include analysis of plant material and soil for bacterial, fungal, viral, and nematode pathogens as well as suggesting appropriate control measures when available. Our clients include Growers, Agronomists, Seed Producers, Golf Courses, Researchers, and Homeowners. This allows the clinic to call on the expertise of all the crop specialists. The clinic provides accurate plant disease diagnosis, quick turn around time, professional services, and up-to-date control recommendations. In addition to traditional diagnostic methodologies the Clinic used the latest DNA-based technologies including real-time PCR.
Submitting a sample:
- Please use the submission form whenever submitting samples:
- Providing as much information on the form as possible will help in ensuring an accurate diagnosis of the problem.
- Make sure you include the form with your sample.
- For faster response, include your fax / mobile number or email address and indicate how you would prefer to receive the results.
- The sample to be submitted should contain all parts of the plant when possible.
- Wrap the sample loosely in an unsealed plastic bag and package it in a sturdy box.
- Mail the sample as quickly as possible.
- If the sample can not be mailed immediately, keep it refrigerated or out of direct sunlight.
- It is important that you try to collect the sample prior to any pesticide applications - once pesticides have been applied it may be difficult to obtain an accurate diagnoses.
- It is helpful if the sample is taken from an area that has early symptoms of the problem. Areas that are completely dead often contain a number of secondary organisms that may hinder the detection of the primary pathogen.
Samples should be sent to:
Plant Disease Clinic National Institute of Agricultural Botany